I have made a lot of recipes with blueberries this week due to my insane overstock. We went blueberry picking in Michigan and even after freezing a TON of them I had so many left over to bake with since I ran out of space in my freezer. So here is yet another DELICIOUS blueberry recipe: Blueberry lemon cake.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp.
- 1 and 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- zest + juice of 3 medium lemons (about 6 Tbs lemon juice)
- 1 and 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
Cream cheese frosting
- 8 ounces full-fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 and 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
HOW TO BAKE!
Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray 9x13 cake pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
Using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high until creamy - about 1 minute. Add granulated and brown sugars and beat on medium-high speed until creamed, about 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until everything is combined, about 2 full minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Set aside.
In a large sized bowl, toss together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Beat on low speed for 5 seconds, then add the milk, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Remove from the mixer and stir lightly until everything is just combined. Toss the blueberries in 1 Tablespoon of flour and fold into the batter. Batter is extremely thick. Do not over-mix.
Spoon batter evenly into pan. Bake for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.
To make the frosting: Using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and butter together on medium speed until no lumps remain, about 3 full minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar, 1 Tablespoon cream, vanilla extract, and salt with the mixer running on low. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes.